- "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!"
- The success of a lightly tossed off joke lies not in the tongue of the teller but in the ear of the hearer.
- Time can make us forget some memories, but there would be some memories which make us forget the time and those make the life worthwhile....
- The only things you really own are your actions
- I hate people who steal of my ideas even before I can think of them
- Mark Twain once said - "Habit is habit, and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time."
- You're supposed to trust friends. You have no reason to be his friend? That is part of the pleasure of friendship: trusting without absolute evidence and then being rewarded for that trust. David Shore, House M.D., Not Cancer, 2008
- "Believe it can be done. When you believe something can be done, really believe, your mind will find the ways to do it.
- Believing a solution paves the way to solution" in 'Magic of thinking Big' by David Schwartz
- For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.
- People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing -- that's why we recommend it daily.
- It's not the mountain ahead that wears me out but the pebbles at my shoes - Mohammed Ali
- The secret of joy in work is contained in one word - excellence. To know how to do something well is to enjoy it
- Expecting life to treat you well because you are a good person is like expecting an angry bull not to charge because you are a vegetarian
- You see things and you say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and I say, "Why not?" - Bernard Shaw
- Life’s filled with possibilities
That challenge us each day… To take a chance
Try something new… See things in a different way
And as it’s through, we learn to change and grow
To explore who we are and what we know
For it’s not until we try
That we find out – WHAT WE CAN DO…
- The ability to change is a second chance to succeed
- Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference
- Never argue with fools; First they bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience!
- Guard your heart above anything else you have, because it determines the kind of life you will live.
- Brian Hartzer: "It’s about removing barriers to their success by giving them the resources they need, reducing bureaucracy, and making sure that your processes and the way you measure and reward success lines up with what you’re asking them to do."
- A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him/her
- Some people don’t look up until they're flat on their backs.
- A turtle makes progress when it sticks its head out.
- The difference between democracy and dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later, in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting
- "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt" - Bertrand Russell
- Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow...
We must fail in order to know...
We must lose in order to gain...
Because some lessons are best learned through pain
- "Stay away from the pigsty if you don’t want to stink."
- "Good manners are spoiled by wrong relationships; don’t make friends with pigs!"
- "I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill, attr.
- Two thoughts decide your attitude - (1) What you think of yourself when you don't have anything (2) What you think of others when you have everything
- Never explain yourself to anyone - the one who likes you doesn't need it and the one who dislikes you won't believe it
- If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side
- The pain of discipline is much better than the price of regret
- Execution is the missing link between Aspirations and Results
- Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence..
- If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
- An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.
- Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.
- A meeting is an event at which the minutes are kept and the hours are lost.
- The first myth of management is that it exists.
- Nothing motivates a man more than to see his boss putting in an honest day's work.
- The more cordial the buyer's secretary, the greater the odds that the competition already has the order.
- Walt Whitman's beautiful words: "The habit of giving enhances the desire to give."
- When you see good work, say it, and say it from the heart, just as you thought it. Free up the thought, and let it breathe - let it fly out there in the form of generous words, and watch what you get back. Giving is ultimately sharing.
- Worrying is like a rocking chair, sure it gives you something to do, but in the end you never get anywhere - Dorothy Galyean
- Never argue with fools. First they bring you down to their level. Then they beat you with experience.
- A great woman - Marianne Williamson once said: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate, our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us; it's not just in some of us, it's in all of us. And when we let our light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same"
- If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z; x is Work, y is Play and z is keeping your mouth shut
- As a child, a library card takes you to exotic faraway places. When you're grown up, a credit card does it - Sam Ewing
- "When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity"
- Motivation is like fire; Unless you add fuel to it, it dies
- Being employable is better than being employed
- Life is not about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain!
- "It’s not the strongest of the species that survives, not the most intelligent but the one most responsive to change" - Charles Darwin, Origin of Species
- A man can't ride your back unless it's bent
- The only person who can limit your growth is YOU
- It's amazing what you can accomplish, if you do not care who gets the credit - Harry S Truman
- Don't limit your challenges; Challenge your limits
- Murphy's Law of Work: There is never enough time to do it right the first time; there is always enough time to do it over!
- I've learned that opportunities are never lost; someone will take the ones you miss
- I've learned that to ignore facts does not change the facts
- If you want to see the rainbow, you need to put up with some rain!
- "We should not let success go to our heads, or our failures go to our hearts"
- As I look forward, I'm very optimistic about the things I see ahead. As we look ahead into the next century, leaders will be those who empower others
- To work without attachment is to work without the expectation of reward or fear of any punishment in this world or the next. Work so done is a means to the end, and God is the end.
- You learn more about a person in 1 hour of play, than in 1 year of conversation - courtesy EJ
- "When you have eliminate all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" - Sherlock Holmes
- If you can't love someone without feeling afraid, it's time to get out of the relationship - fast
- Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge embraces all we now know and understand, but imagination embraces all there will ever be to know and understand.
- If we cannot do great things, we can do small things in a great way
- "It is the cheerful mind that is persevering. It is the strong mind that hews its way through a thousand difficulties" - Swami Vivekananda
- "It is not only for what we do that we are held responsible, but also for what we do not do." - Moliere
- If you're bored with life -- you don't get up every morning with a burning desire to do things -- you don't have enough goals.
- "The Greatest Gift you can give someone is your time, Because when you are giving someone your time, You are giving them a portion of your life that you will never get back."
- "Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending" - Maria Robinson
- One of my favourite quotes about growth goes like this: "Some people look at a glass and see it as half empty.
- Others look at the glass and see it as half full. I look at it and say the glass isn't big enough."
- I have not failed 100 times, I have just found 100 ways that won't work
- Growth is sustained by creating room to grow
- The hours your work are not as important as what you put in those hours.
- David Cartwright – Group Managing Director, Operations, Technology and Shared Services
I know I have only been here a very short time, however I figure that puts me in the ideal position to offer an outsider's view.
4 Oct 2009