Hit Counter

18 Dec 2009

BSA TFN 09

The TFN has been a dream for my husband since he heard about it last year. Inspired initially by my enthusiasm to cycle, his interest took wings as he registered for bike forums and biked long rides with fellow cyclists from the forums. Ten or eleven months since that first ride, today he is part of the BSA TFN 09, "striking one thing off his bucket list" as he aptly puts it.

The BSA TFN 09 has got a greater coverage this year than the last, on the telly, in the papers, by word of mouth and social networking sites. It is partly the excitement of the larger crowd, participation by the bikers and to an extent the presence of the State Transport Commissioner as one of the riders.

My interest was originally limited to the husband's biking in the TFN. I've been following the TFNers on twitter, FB and flickr avidly. As I read each update, I find that it is getting harder and harder for me to answer the question as to why I did not participate this year. I love cycling but I am lazy. While I occasionally bike to work, I am easily swayed and reasons like rain, traffic, time-limit, etc come in the way of my biking to work on a daily basis.

I must confess, however, that I would love to be part of this biking event next year. The riders only need to have a bike of their own and a passion to ride, the rest is taken care of. The organizers do a fabulous job of getting everything sorted. Right from the recce to the accomodation, photographer, medical support, briefing, etcetra, every little detail has been taken care of with utmost diligence.

My favourite part of the tour, as an audience or follower, is the live updates on Twitter and the daily photo updates on flickr. My happiness knew no bounds when a couple of the TFNers stumbled upon my tweet where I sighed about not finding a picture of the husband and they responded immediately. The next day, there was a picture. I was ecstatic! It is wonderful to see such amazing people and so much compassion.

Today is Day 3 of the tour and the bikers have started their day at Hassan, their second overnight stop, as early as 5AM in the morning. Looking forward to hearing from the husband and tracking their moments regularly via the web.

For pictures from the official photographer PeeVee, look in flickr.

Pre-TFN Kolar ride:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/45326241@N02/page2/
TFN daily updates:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tourofnilgiris/

Twitter handle : tourofnilgiris

2 comments:

  1. Hey buddy!!! The photographs were nice... I should say Uh looks like he is completely enjoying this experience... Keep blogging ... Nice to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks mate :) Yeah, he sure did. It finishes today, can't wait to see him!

    ReplyDelete