I've heard that it's a wonderful thing to "be in control of your life". What exactly does this mean? Is it being in control of what happens in your life? Is it being in control of your responses to what life offers?
It's hard but possible to achieve the latter, they say. Yet, most people have not been able to do that. Like common sense being a rare trait, eh? I wonder if there is a word for such things.
I digress again! Pulling myself back on track... I received a forward this evening. Some cheeky stuff, I admit but notice...
Someone I know closely fits into the second category to the T and it frustrates me to hear him speak. How does one deal with such people?
- Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent.
- Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something.
See how many of these sayings revolve around feelings?
- Don't choose a person you want to live with, pick the one you cannot live without... but whatever you do, you'll regret it later.
- You can't buy love... but you pay heavily for it.
- True friends stab you in the front.
- Forgiveness is giving up my right to hate you for hurting me.
- Real friends are the ones who survive transitions between address books...
My favourite is the last one. I've always envied people who have been able to achieve that!
Next time you are on the streets of Bangalore, look out for writings on the backs of auto-rickshaws. Most are in Kannada but I bet you can find a few in English too. Almost all of them are about love, friendship, mother or God. If I can find a few pictures, I'll put them up here sometime. I recently came across a cab that said "CAUTION: A girl may be pretty but her heart is dirty". Wow! Strong words but clearly someone who's been bitten by the love bug, don't you think?
To have loved and lost is better than to have not loved at all (who said that?)
If most people could take control of their reactions and make peace with life, creativity wouldn't be so prevalant. There would be scarcity of good stories, poems, quotes, forwards. In fact, most songs that touch us are ones that relate to an emotion deep within us. When you grieve a dear one you've lost, do you think about 'control'?
So, what really is being in control of your life all about?