Didn't someone say persistence really pays? I bet it was a woman! When I'm persistent, my man says I'm nagging. What's in a name, Shakespeare asked. He's right. No matter what you call it - persistence or nagging... it works just the same!
So what's new, you ask? Let's just say I discovered the exception to the rule. It doesn't always work. I learnt this the hard way. Here's an example. No matter how many blogs I write, I still can't get one good piece in order. Sigh! That's not the 'hard way' I was talking about but we won't go into that. I will spare you the misery of reading my stories meant for Agony Aunt.
I lost the thoughts in my head that threaded into a lovely blog. No matter how much I persist, I can't seem to string the words together again, so I give up. I was never a giver-up, mind you. I was forced to learn that the hard way too. No, I won't talk you down that road either.
Murphy rocks! He popped some of the most flawless laws ever! If you want all of it in one place, visit http://www.murphys-laws.com/. It's also got some amazing extensions, addendums and new ones by contributors. Here are some for a quick read.
- If anything can go wrong, it will (extension: it will be all your fault, and everyone will know it)
- Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse (out of sight, out of mind)
- If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something
- Mother nature is a bitch (addendum: and not an obedient one at that)
- Smile . . . tomorrow will be worse
- It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious (this one is my favourite)
- Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first (and that's why I never get any work done)
- After you bought a replacement for something you've lost and searched for everywhere, you'll find the original (hmm... I've been looking for...)
- No matter how long or how hard you shop for an item, after you've bought it, it will be on sale somewhere cheaper (bingo!)
- There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over (isn't that how most software projects go?)
- When in doubt, mumble. When in trouble, delegate (stuff leaders are made of)
- Anything good in life is either illegal, immoral or fattening (e.g. ice-cream)
- Murphy's golden rule: whoever has the gold makes the rules
- Anything dropped in the bathroom will fall in the toilet (last week I lost my soap)
- Your best golf shots always occur when playing alone. The worst golf shots always occur when playing with someone you are trying to impress. (Moral: Play alone. Always.)
- A knowledge of Murphy's Law is no help in any situation (saved my blog, don't you think?)
- If you apply Murphy's Law, it will no longer be applicable (if you apply an ointment, it will no longer be applicable. So, what's your point?)
And I'll end with one last - "If Murphy's law is right then it will go wrong"
Oh, by the way, check out the new Bumblebee Quips, would you? Here's how you get there... http://bumblebee-quips.blogspot.com/. Some of you have been invited to be authors in the blog, please make use of the honour accorded to you ;)